Traditionally, students visit college campuses to better understand the environment before they choose to attend the university. Now, you could be wondering: are college tours worth it? The short answer is: absolutely! However, it often costs money to visit a school. You may need to travel, spend one or more nights in the school’s location, etc. Since the pandemic, virtual tours have now become a go-to method for exploring colleges and can help you tour colleges on a budget.
Making an educated choice when selecting a college is a decision that can have lasting effects on your future. So, it is essential to learn as much as possible about your college choices to choose a school that will benefit you the most in your education journey. This article will focus on how virtual college tours can assist you in finding your perfect college. You will learn how to tour colleges on a budget and make the most of your time.
Benefits of virtual college tours
A remote college tour offers an innovative way for aspirants to learn about a school’s academic programs, extracurricular activities, and campus culture without leaving their residence. For those on a travel budget, the desire to visit multiple colleges across the country becomes a reality.
Attending virtual college tours can provide numerous advantages. But does a virtual tour give a complete picture of the campus?
A virtual tour can be an invaluable asset in your college selection process, giving you a comprehensive overview of the campus. You can explore different aspects of the campus, such as buildings, facilities, and even surrounding areas, with interactive maps, 360-degree photos, and virtual reality experiences.
Furthermore, engaging descriptions, videos, and student testimonials can provide additional insight into the campus, creating a more holistic understanding.
There are many more advantages of a virtual college tour in comparison to an offline college tour, such as:
- They are more convenient than in-person tours, as they eliminate the need for travel and save your resources.
- Such tours are free of charge with no associated travel or accommodation costs, perfect for students on a budget.
- Even if you can travel, virtual tours enable students to explore more variety of American colleges, granting them the opportunity to discover new possibilities. You gain an idea of what life would be like on different campuses.
Tips for getting the most out of a virtual college tour
When participating in a virtual college tour, it is essential to maximize the opportunity. Below are some helpful suggestions to consider:
- Conduct your research beforehand: Before attending a virtual tour, it is recommended that you research the college. This includes exploring the school’s website, examining its academic programs, and understanding the campus culture.
- Take important notes: Making notes while participating in the virtual tour can help you recall the key points discussed.
- Go beyond the tour: After finishing the virtual tour, investigate other sources of information, such as social media platforms, blogs, or online forums. This will give you additional information regarding the college.
- Ask the right questions: Do not be afraid to ask any questions that arise during the tour. Such queries will help increase your understanding of the college. To ask the right questions, go through your notes and research. Be polite in your tone.
Here are some examples of the questions you could ask the college representative to learn more about the college:
- What opportunities exist for undergraduate research in my area of interest?
- Could you provide further details regarding the intern and co-op programs available to students?
- What resources are accessible to students in terms of academic counseling and tutoring?
- Could you describe the relationship between faculty and students? Is there a significant focus on mentorship?
- Are there any study abroad programs or international exchange opportunities offered?
Campus life questions
- What extracurricular activities or clubs are there to participate in?
- Are there any distinctive traditions or events that students can take part in?
- Can you provide information about the housing or community options, such as dormitories or other arrangements?
- What are the dining options on campus? Are dietary needs and preferences taken into account?
- How do students usually spend their leisure time on campus?
Financial aid questions
- What financial aid opportunities are available to incoming students, such as scholarships, grants, and loans?
- Could you provide details on how to apply for these funds and their respective deadlines?
- Are there any merit-based or need-based awards that I should be aware of?
- How does the college help students find part-time job opportunities?
- What resources or programs are provided to help students understand financial literacy and manage their expenses?
Career services and alumni network questions
- What career development services does the college provide to support students with internships, job placements, and career exploration?
- Can you give details about the alumni network and how the college facilitates interactions between present students and alumni?
- Are there any programs or initiatives that support students with networking and professional growth?
- How successful are graduates from the college in obtaining jobs and pursuing further studies?
- Please share examples of renowned alumni and their career successes after college graduation?
Campus facilities and resources questions
- What library services and resources are available to facilitate research and study?
- Are there any specialized laboratories, studios, or tools related to my area of focus?
- Could you please provide information about the fitness and recreational amenities offered on campus, for example, gyms, sports fields, and exercise classes?
- Are there any specific areas dedicated to student organizations, clubs, or study groups?
- What technology resources and support services are accessible to students, such as computer labs, printing facilities, and IT help?
Diversity and inclusion question
- How does the college encourage diversity and inclusion?
- Are there any clubs or organizations to support underrepresented groups?
- What resources are available to students from diverse backgrounds?
- How does the college ensure equity and inclusivity in curricula and the classroom setting?
- Are there any initiatives or programs to promote a sense of belonging and cultural understanding among students?
What to look for when attending a virtual college tour
You may be questioning how many college tours you should go on. No single figure is applicable to all individuals. However, touring several institutions can be advantageous in helping you make an informed choice. Additionally, most of these virtual options are free! So, there is no harm in attending as many as necessary. That is an exciting advantage when you tour colleges on a budget.
When taking part in a virtual college tour, it is essential to maintain a professional tone to properly understand the college. Get clarity on the following topics:
Options for academic programs
It is important to take the time to research and understand the academic programs available, along with the expectations associated with each program.
This will help you decide on the right program for you. With this knowledge, you can ensure that you are on the right path to reaching your academic goals.
Understand the campus culture
Before committing to a college, it is important to understand its culture and if it is the right fit for you. A virtual tour is a great way to learn more about the environment and understand the campus culture.
Take the time to explore the campus virtually and ask yourself if the school’s culture resonates with your personality.
Check the campus facilities
Take the time to explore the various facilities available on the college campus. Get an idea of the dorms, library, and athletic facilities.
Consider asking questions about each of these amenities to better understand what the college has to offer. Doing so will give you a complete picture of the campus and its offerings.
How long does a virtual college tour last?
The length of virtual college tours may differ depending on the college and the structure of the tour. Typically, they last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, though some may be shorter or longer. Please refer to the college’s website or contact the admissions office to obtain precise details.
Furthermore, universities regularly provide digital resources like digital information sessions or web-based Q&A meetings. This gives you more knowledge regarding the institution and its services.
Webinar events and how to find them
Attending a college webinar is a great way to further understand the institution. These highly informative sessions offer insight into college life, the admissions process, financial aid, and student experiences.
How can you sign up for a college webinar? For those interested in attending, links can be found on the college websites, social media platforms, and the CollegeBoard website. Generally, webinars are free to attend. So don’t worry if you are on a budget. However, registration is required to participate.
Connecting with current students and alumni
During a virtual college tour, you can get first-hand insights into the college experiences by connecting with current students and alumni. Here are some approaches to consider for making these connections:
Take advantage of virtual information sessions
These sessions can allow you to interact with admissions representatives, current students, or alumni. You can benefit from presentations, Q&A sessions, and panel discussions and can ask questions and engage with the speakers. It is worthwhile to take advantage of these opportunities.
Staying up-to-date on your college of interest is easy! Follow the college’s social media accounts like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. You can find updates, stories, and posts from current students and alumni on these platforms. Additionally, you can contact the college through direct messages or comments.
Join college forums and online communities
Connecting with university students and alumni is now possible through platforms such as College Confidential, Reddit, and the college’s forums. By asking questions, engaging in conversations, and seeking advice, you can gain insight from those with direct experience.
Use LinkedIn or alumni networks
Contact alumni from your prospective colleges via professional networking platforms such as LinkedIn. An informational interview or general inquiry about their experiences can be beneficial; alumni are usually willing to provide their knowledge and guidance to prospective students.
How to make the most of these connections
To get the most out of conversations with existing students alums, it is essential to approach them with an open, curious mindset. Ask about their experiences in and outside classes to gain valuable knowledge on campus life, academics, and career paths.
Enquire regarding their favorite resources, clubs, and events while seeking advice about any challenges or possibilities. Be sure to actively listen and participate in meaningful dialogue, fostering genuine connections. You can also ask them to review your college essay or personal statement to see if they have any feedback on your topic and writing. If you haven’t started yet, they could help you brainstorm topics instead.
Stay proactive in following up with any additional queries or prospects that arise. You can acquire valuable insights and build a network by actively engaging with current students and alumni. It will surely aid your academic and professional endeavors.
The big picture: Tour colleges on a budget
Exploring colleges with virtual tours offers various benefits, such as eliminating travel costs and providing the chance to investigate schools outside your region. To maximize the virtual tour experience, it is essential to do your research, take notes, ask questions, and connect with alumni and current students.
Additionally, tour colleges on a budget by attending a virtual tour or participating in webinars. This allows for a valuable understanding of college life and the admissions process without incurring excessive expenses.
Are you ready for college? Do you need college prep help? Visit Lessonpal to find great ACT, SAT, College Essay Writing, and College Counseling tutors today.